Sunday, August 28, 2016

Calendar 2017 Austen Men in Film + Two

It is the time of year that I am busy working on my yearly Jane Austen Calendar. For 2017 the theme is Austen Men in Film + Two. The plus two being men portrayed in films from non-Austen novels. These two men will still be from two different period films and my hope is that you will be pleased with their addition to the calendar. As of yet, I have not made their identities public knowledge but will at a later date. I want to keep you in suspense! :)

There are quite a few participants again this year and even several authors that it is their first time to be a part of the calendar. I think you are all in for a treat, if the quotes I have been getting are any indication of the books being published. You will have the opportunity to read these quotes and see what books intrigue and tempt you.

The calendar will be released a little later this year than in the past two years. Since I am drawing all the pictures for each month, it takes me longer to get it all put together. Because of that, I will not be posting the drawings regularly on my blog. I will probably show several of them when it is closer to time for the calendar's release. I do have one drawing that I am going to share with you today. It is of an actor who played his part extremely well, as he did always. This drawing is my tribute to him for the many films in which he starred and the many roles he played making us truly love or hate his character. He did them all with class and with ease.

From Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility, I give you my tribute to Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon.



The other 'Austen Men in Film' are Edward Ferrars from Sense & Sensibility played by Dan Stevens, Captain Frederick Wentworth of Persuasion, played by Ciaran Hinds and Rupert Penry-Jones. Of course, there will be both Darcy's, Colin Firth and Matthew Macfadyen from Pride and Prejudice. I will include two Mr. Knightley's from Emma, Jonny Lee Miller and Jeremy Northam. J.J. Fields as Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey and Blake Ritson as Edmund Bertram from Mansfield Park round out the ten Austen men.

If you think you may purchase a 2017 calendar, consider pre-ordering one. I am offering a pre-order price of $10. That is the same price I have had for the calendar for the past few years. After the calendar is released, the price will go up to $12 per calendar. I hate to increase the price, but my cost has continued to rise. Until now, I have not increased the price of the calendar to reflect those rising costs but feel I must this year. You can let me know by the contact form on this blog or by email if you want to pre-order a calendar. I should have the pre-order form on my website, JT Originals, within the next few weeks. Also, if you pre-order directly from me instead of the website, I can keep your shipping costs down some, too. That is a benefit, as well, since shipping costs continue to rise.

Let me know what you think of next year's theme. I would love to hear from you. Do you want to take a guess or two of who you think might be one or both of the plus two's? I'm working on one of them now and having a good time drawing him. :) I always have fun looking at the movies, pausing and photographing stills to use as my models for drawing. Then the real enjoyment comes when I start drawing them. I especially enjoyed drawing Alan Rickman and felt it an honor to do so. I wanted to share that with you, my dear readers.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend and will have a lovely week ahead. Take care and thanks for stopping by.

39 comments:

  1. Ooh, the suspense! This is one calendar I will actually remember to flip the pages on, just to see each beautiful new man... I mean, PAINTING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Nicole! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm hoping to generate just a little suspense! :)

      Delete
  2. Love this one of Alan Rickman, Janet.

    Could one of the plus twos be Richard Armitage as John Thornton, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the other Aidan Turner as Ross Poldark?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anji. I'm so happy that you do. Oooh, I do like both your thoughts on who the other two might be! They would be good additions, wouldn't they?

      Delete
  3. Always <3 That is a beautiful picture, Janet! Whenever I have a calendar I end up not using it, but I wish I did, so I could get one of yours, as they are truly beautiful.

    I am with Anji on the guess, I think definitely RA and perhaps Poldark unless you've gone over to the Bronte side and have included Michael Fassbender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ceri. I'm glad that you think so.

      Those are good thoughts! Both men would make lovely additions to the calendar as would MF.

      Thanks for commenting and venturing a guess! :)

      Delete
  4. You've done a fabulous job, Janet! I would love to pre order the calendar.

    I'm not going to guess at the Plus Two (you know why!) ;) Happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassandra! Nope, wouldn't be a good idea for you to guess! haha!

      I will email you about pre-ordering.

      Delete
  5. I love this idea. I won't guess because I have no clue, although I love Richard Admits he and think he could have been an excellent Darcy. I would most definitely like to pre-order 2 calendars. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I was hoping that that most would love the idea. It is something different and should be a nice change for everyone.

      Wouldn't RA make a good Darcy. I agree completely with you there. There have definitely been some interesting guesses so far. I like them all! :)

      I will email you about pre-ordering the calendars.

      Delete
  6. Yes! I love your drawings and I remember you talking about doing this idea a few years ago!! Can't wait to see it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have wanted to do this one for some time. I'm glad that I am finally getting to do it. It's been fun deciding which scenes and which men. lol

      Delete
  7. I love the idea! The painting of Alan Rickman is amazing!! Are we having as +2 maybe Mr. Rochester?? Maybe Toby Stephens or Michael Fassbender? I will also like RA as Mr. Thornton.
    This year I will buy the calendar, could I preorder one? As I am saving a couple of dollars there, that will make up for the shipping costs a bit.
    anadarcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled that you do anadarcy! :) Thank you so much! All of your ideas for the +2 are awesome! Gives me much to think about. lol

      Yes, you can pre-order. I will email you separately about it.(later today or tomorrow) I think I have your email address now.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  8. Great drawing of our dear colonel, Janet! Since I know who the "mystery men" are, my lips are sealed. I will say I'm surprised you're not in a pool of drool after drawing these handsome men all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. You knew how badly I wanted this one to be special! Thanks for keeping your lips sealed for now! lol

      What makes you think I am not in a pool of drool? haha! It is much fun looking at the pictures and closely studying those faces for the drawings. Such difficult work!!!

      Delete
    2. Studying VERY closely... and watching all of the movies over again, just to make sure you get all the nuances of expression JUST right.... Yes, this must be very tough, tedious work.

      Delete
    3. Oh, Nicole. I do fear you are getting to know me too well! lol Somebody has to do it, so guess it might as well be me! Such drudgery it is! Guess I'll get back to one of the 'mystery men' after a quick lunch break! You notice I said 'quick'.

      Delete
    4. I know who it is! David Bramber as Mr Collins! Sorry for spilling the beans, everyone.

      Delete
    5. Nicole, you crack me up! Shame on you for spilling the beans. One thing for certain, he did play his part exceedingly well in P&P. He made us dislike him immensely.

      When you, Joy and Jennifer Joy, all get together, I bet there will be tons of laughter. You three are a riot!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous painting. Can't wait to see the finished product. Such a fantastic 2017 calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I'm thrilled you stopped by and left me a comment. You know, I can hardly wait to see the finished product either...that I will mean it is complete and printed! :)

      Delete
  10. Ah, love seeing Alan Rickman as the Colonel. And who wouldn't love such a calendar theme. ;) Great idea!

    Must say, reading the comments has been fun. I'm as curious as the next gal about your non-Austen mystery men. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia. I'm happy you stopped by. I think this will be a fun theme. I've been thinking about doing it for a couple of years now and finally getting it done.

      Haven't the comments been fun? I'm loving all of them. I'll have to decide when to reveal these mystery men! :)

      Delete
  11. You got me at Ciaran Hinds! It is impossible for me not to pre-order this now :)))
    You know how much I love your drawings Janet and I am looking forward to see all the new ones you created for the 2017 calendar :)
    I won't guess, but I'll say I would love the plus 2 to be Richard Armitage as John Thornton and Toby Stephens as Mr. Rochester :)) I'll be happy if you meet me half way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in touch with you about preordering, Rita! Thank you!

      You always make me feel so good. I'm thrilled that you love my drawings and hope all the ones for the calendar will be to your liking.

      I think there are many votes for Richard Armitage. He seems to be a popular man! I most definitely think he would be one that I could enjoy drawing! :) Maybe I will be meeting you halfway!

      Delete
  12. Love your portrait of Alan Rickman!

    Can't wait for the mystery men. My vote is for Richard Armitage and Aidan Turner. Not that it counts for anything. lol

    denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. I'm glad you like it. Your thoughts always count! :) Even though I have chosen my mystery men, I still wanted to hear who everyone thought they might be. I'm glad you gave your vote! :)

      Delete
  13. Amazing (in a most agreeable way!) I believe that I will be willing to give up my yearly flowers calendar for one. Just let me know when and how to order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Detra, and I please you stopped by.

      Great news that you would consider giving up your yearly flowers for one of my calendars. Please email me at janet at jt-originals dot com and/or give me your contact info via the contact form on the right side of comments on this blog. I will get your info and tell you how to preorder. I can invoice through paypal or you may pay by credit card. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. Amazing (in a most agreeable way!) I believe that I will be willing to give up my yearly flowers calendar for one. Just let me know when and how to order.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SPOILER ALERT** I received a poorly written missive from Sir Walter Eliot last night begging you to rethink the inclusion of Capt. Wentworth in your project. A man with sun-darkened skin and rough features indicating a familial background far from genteel would be a travesty, according to him. In Wentworth's place, the good Baronet (his words) would gladly pose for you as long as he was by his favorite mirror with the soft candle light reflecting the luminosity of his peerless skin and the rise of his noble chin (again, his words).

    He seemed a bit put out at you, Janet. I hope you can work this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy, I am sorry to disappoint Sir Walter Elliot, but I cannot make the changes for this year. I know it is unseemly to him for me to include not one, but two,
      Captain Wentworth's, in all their rugged handsomeness, in this calendar. For Shame! I might request that you remind 'the good Baronet', if you would be so kind, that sometimes we save the best for last. Meaning that he will possibly have his turn at a later time. My hope is that those words will pacify him to some degree. I will even consider the mirror and soft candle light as his background. I would most certainly want to portray him to his best advantage!

      Thank you for passing on his missive. I hope he has not caused you too much distress because of my erring ways.

      Delete
  16. I love the tribute to Alan Rickman. He was one of my favorites. Jen Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always has been one of mine, too, Jen. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  17. Perfect, absolutely perfect!! I love Alan Rickman and you captured him to perfection. Can't wait to see what you did for Colin & Matthew and all these great guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gail Brosnan (redstrands)October 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM

    I can vouch for the popularity of your calendars. After the Post Office weirdness with the 2016 calendar, I only was able to enjoy mine for 3 months before a coworker stole it off my wall! I will hide next year's better.

    ReplyDelete